We have prepared answers to some frequently asked questions. We hope that this information is helpful. For more information please go to About the HUB and Services.
What is the HUB?
The HUB is a full service, academic research organization that links the health economics expertise from the Centre for exceLlence in Economic Analysis Research (CLEAR), the clinical research methods and operations infrastructure from the Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC) and the knowledge translation expertise from BreaKThrough Knowledge Translation services.
Where is the HUB?
The HUB is located in Toronto, Canada at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital. Contact Us for more information.
What services does the HUB offer?
The HUB offers a vertically integrated model specializing in the design and execution of research studies involving:
- clinical trials
- observational epidemiology (including patient registries)
- health economics
- qualitative research
- data management
- systematic reviews
- knowledge translation implementation and evaluation
By offering these services to clinical researchers in a true one-stop-shop, we can provide a comprehensive, harmonized approach to study design, methodology and operations. For more information, refer to our Services.
What types of research does the HUB support?
- Multicentre randomized clinical trials
- Observational Epidemiology
- Prospective patient registries / databases
- Retrospective database study design and analysis
- Qualitative Research
- Health Economics
- Knowledge Translation
What is your therapeutic specialty?
We work across a broad range of therapeutic areas. Our methodological expertise is applied to design high quality research studies and our operational engine ensures efficient implementation. You (and your collaborators) provide the clinical and scientific expertise.
What about getting me funding?
The HUB does not specifically fund studies or write grant applications but we can connect you with funders including sponsors, government, granting agencies and industry. We can talk more about this when we meet.
What is your relationship with St.Michael’s and the University of Toronto?
We are fully integrated with the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital and fully affiliated with the University of Toronto. Our relationships with St. Michael’s and the University of Toronto are valuable to our partners. They underscore the credibility of what the HUB provides and enable us to offer access to resources not otherwise available.
Is the HUB a CRO or an ARO?
The HUB is a full service academic research organization (ARO) that supports the needs of the academic and commercial research communities. As a full-service clinical research coordinating centre, we provide our clients with the academic and scientific leadership of a world-class academic medical centre and the operational excellence of a contract research organization (CRO).
What don’t we offer?
- We don’t manage sites and their work on a day-to-day basis. We provide an oversight role in this area.
- We don’t coordinate Phase I studies but can link researchers with others that handle Phase I studies.
- We rarely work on single site studies. It’s not cost effective for you to have HUB involved.
- We don’t hire people to build your research team.
- We don’t hire people to work at the research sites but can assist in this process.
- We don’t write grant applications. However, we can help in relevant portions of the grant writing.
- We don’t manage the REB process at individual research sites; we do support you by providing template documents.
How much will it cost?
We do not have a standard price list for our projects at the HUB. We take a personal approach to our clients’ specific needs and as a not-for-profit academic research organization, offer competitive rates for the highest quality of work. Contact us to set up a preliminary meeting.